A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Message: Only variable references should be returned by reference

Filename: core/Common.php

Line Number: 239

Severity: Warning

Message: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/c07/h01/mnt/109044/domains/backcountrycoalition.com/unleaded_ee_system/codeigniter/system/core/Exceptions.php:170)

Filename: libraries/Functions.php

Line Number: 767

Message: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/c07/h01/mnt/109044/domains/backcountrycoalition.com/unleaded_ee_system/codeigniter/system/core/Exceptions.php:170)

Filename: core/Common.php

Line Number: 405

Backcountry Coalition
follow us

Mohair for a fat ski?
Posted: 15 September 2011 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
stoked for winter
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-09-15

So what about a mohair skin for a fat ski? Would the surface area make up for the mohair’s lack of climbing ability. You could save a little weight and get a better kick glide in the flats…...I’m guessing.

Flame on!!!

Posted: 15 September 2011 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Disco Stu
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2011-09-15

That is a great point.  I would say it’s going to depend on what kind of snow you are skinning on and how fat the ski is.  If it’s harder snow and your ski has a lot of rocker you are reducing the amount of surface area that is in contact with the snow.

Posted: 15 September 2011 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Dave's not here
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2009-12-18

I had a pair of mohair skins for my 110’s a couple of seasons ago, and they worked fine.  I didn’t think they did as well on super steep stuff, and but they did handle a little better in variable snow temps.  It is a trade off…. they are also generally more expensive, and in a fat ski, those costs are going to be higher.  I would go with a split skin if you really wanted to save some weight, and you get a lot less snow buildup.

I like my mohair, but I also had to be a lot more gentle with them, and I suck at being gentle on ski gear. I like to skin over rocks and dirt and roads and parking lots… hence, i like my G3’s (and the girl yellow matches my jacket)

Posted: 16 September 2011 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
drinking beer in the lot
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2010-04-15

Ive never skied on mohair. Ive always heard that it just doesnt last.  I know what Dobish means by needing durable.  The G3 Alpinist Skins seem to glide well enough and climb well enough.  The G3 tip system crushes anything out there in my opinion and makes these the way to go.

Out of curiosity, out side of rando racing and stuff why would anyone want to use mohair over the G3 skins?  I seem to always hear a lot of negatives on mohair like people have to convince themselves to find reasons to use them.  What am I missing?

Posted: 18 September 2011 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Disco Stu
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2011-09-15

The only mohair i’ve used were the Dynafit ones and they seemed ok while climbing. But a flake of snow will make that glue uselss and the tip/tail connection is not good enough to keep that skin useful once the glue is gone for the day. I’ve heard a lot about the lack of durability of them aswell. 
  Have any one seen those Gecko skins?  They are glueless.  They are mohair but if you dont have to worry about keeping your skins warm/dry between runs or if your glue is wearing out and you get some snow in there you aren’t completely screwed.  I know some skin to ski setups can still work if your glue is gone, but having that sense of security would be nice.  I know some people get new skis/skins every year, but not all of us do.  I think I could get over the lack of durability on my Lotus 120/switchback X2 set-up.  Keep the light-weight theme going.  The places I go with those wont likely be rough on skins. 
  Also, has anyone seen the new tail clip on the G3 alpinist skins?  Looks oddly similar to the BD tail clips, once you get over the initial WTF?! reaction when you first see it. (think insect).  I do like it though,  that old tail clip was only really secure on ski’s with a notch, unless you got the twin-tip connection.  That opinion is also based off of having skins that are more than a year old when the glue isn’t so sticky.  With new skins you dont even need tail clips.

Posted: 19 September 2011 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
drinking beer in the lot
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2010-04-15

Those Gecko skins sound pretty cool.  I wonder how much reality is in the performance of the glueless skin.  Pretty curious exactly what is going on to cause the stick.  If it is a porous material Id think it would eventually get dirt ingrained in it causing it to loose its stick for good.  Who knows though?  Im just speculating.  Still though, the lack of durability with mohair doesnt seem to be worth the trade off for a little extra glide.  Im with Dobish and wanting to just be able to crush my skins and have them be an after thought.  I just dont see how anything beats what G3 has going on, especially considering their dope warranty and legit tip system and tail system, you barely need glue with the G3 system anyway.

Posted: 20 September 2011 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
stoked for winter
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-15

I have also skiied the dynafit skins and had the same problem. Made for some hairy kick turns in the steeps. Don’t even sneeze when you are putting them in your jacket. They do have a great conection system if you ski dynafit skis and i felt like i did get extra glide in the flats.  You could also re-glue them right away but who wants to do that with brand new skins.

Posted: 20 September 2011 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
stoked for winter
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-03-31

I have had a couple of pairs of BD ascensions, and they are pretty good. I tried out a pair of G3’s on the lotuses last year and it made a huge weight difference.  I can’t believe I was lugging around an extra 3lbs for the last couple of years!  i wasn’t such a huge fan of the G3 at first, but after they broke in, they were awesome!  I had a set of mohair a long time ago, but they didn’t even last a season… and I was trying to be nice to them.

Posted: 20 September 2011 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
stoked for winter
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-15

Sounds like everyone likes the G3. I check out the new tail clip for the alpinist, pretty cool. Need to check out these Geckos soon.

Posted: 22 September 2011 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
awesome mustache
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2011-04-16

I know I am amp’ed for the new G3 splitboard skins.  I have been forced to use BD skins since I started splitboarding, having to listen to everyone praise the G3’s.  Now I get to try what everyone has been talking about.  Even how wide splitboards are, I dont think I would go with Mohair.  expensive and not durable! I am a snowboarder, cheap and hard on my stuff.