follow us

TR: Peak 10
Posted: 12 March 2012 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
awesome mustache
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2010-11-30

With a fairly uninspiring start to the year (snow wise), I figured I might find some inspiration in a climb and ski of peak 10 near Breck.  With the avy danger gradually trending down and a flawless weather forecast, Mike was in, so I picked him up in Golden around 4 and we were off.  We arrived at the Spruce Creek TH about 530 and began to gear up while we waited for the other peoples we would share the approach with.  About 15 minutes later, Ben, Brian, and Bill were all there and by 6 we were skinning.  The 2 hours it took to reach lower Crystal lake passed relatively quickly, and before we knew it, Mike and I were saying good by and good luck to Brian, Ben, and Bill (who’s objective was the east face of crystal).

Mike and I hung a right at lower crystal lake and made our way up the SSE face of peak 10.  The snow was a bit frozen (surprise, surprise), which made grabbing some purchase on the moderately pitched slope difficult, so we opted for a more efficient mode of travel and began booting up the face.  We topped out on the east ridge at about 13,200 where the radio towers and the road that switch backs up the opposite (resort) side meet.  A relaxing stroll along the remainder of the ridge and we were standing on the summit at 11.  For an out of shape….err, out of fitness desk jockey, I didn’t think a climb time of 5 hours was too bad.  Especially considering that I haven’t been above 13k since September…..ouch!!

We relaxed on the summit for about 45 minutes, eating, drinking, soaking in the sun and views, all while watching the “B’s” climb the NE ridge of Crystal.  Once our lower extremities became numb from sitting on semi-snow covered rocks, we walked about 20 feet SW-ish off the top to find the skiable snow.  30 minutes later, we were back at lower crystal lake, again soaking up the sun and the views.  As you can tell by my riveting description of the descent (and the plethora of photos showing hero powder turns), the ski itself was not remarkable, but we did manage to find some sun-softened snow…..which was nice.

We found another rock made for relaxing and napping near the lower lake.  After lounging around for 30 minutes in hopes of seeing the “B’s” ski crystal (which we never did see), we stepped back into the skis for the slushy luge run back down the summer road to the car.

We stopped in Silverthorne for some food before continuing home - a ground turkey, pico, black bean, wrapped in a jalapeno-cheddar tortilla burrito from Chimayo rounded out the day perfectly.

Blurry Morning photo.

Mike falling on himself

Our routes up and down the face - There’s a way to link up that patch work of snow fields….I promise.

Almost there

almost there again

Is it just me, or are the mountains looking a little bare??  More snow please!!

The “B’s” nearing the top of crystal

Shoving off

At least it was soft!!

Posted: 14 March 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
awesome mustache
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2010-04-11

Holy shit, where is the snow???????????????????????

Looks like Spring skiing might have to wait until Spring 2013.  Wow, that lack of snow is kinda depressing

Posted: 15 March 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Dave's not here
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2009-12-18

Wow! There is almost no snow up there!  Take a look at some of the pictures from a few years ago in may!

Posted: 15 March 2012 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Dave's not here
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2009-12-18

Also, were you able to skin up the road from the parking lot?

Posted: 15 March 2012 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
awesome mustache
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2010-11-30

Yeah, the coverage was a little thin, and the spring season could be a short one if we don’t get more snow. 

But the snow was continuous from summit to car.

Posted: 15 March 2012 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
awesome mustache
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2010-04-11

Seems like the Spring season might be all of a week.  Feels pretty dismal out there…