follow us

Off Season Training Tips for Weekend Warriors and Ski Bums
Posted: 14 September 2013 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
drinking beer in the lot
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-04-15

As the Ski Season rapidly approaches and we in Boulder, CO drys out from the legendary amounts of rain we have received…it is time to get in shape for the Backcountry.  When you are training for long days in the BC but also have to manage a 9-5 job it can be difficult to find the time.

I like to think of off season training as being two fold.

1. During the week focus on high intensity interval work when ever you can fit it in.  Here is what I mean.  When you are at work try bringing Elastic Bands and Perfect Push Ups for a nice break from staring at the computer screen. 

Coffee Break Routine:

20 Body Weight Squats while standing on elastic bands and holding the ends in your hands.
20 Perfect Push Up

Not only will it provide a nice rush of energy but if you do this 5 times a day.  That 100 Squats and 100 Push Ups.

When not at work try incorporating these additions if you already work out:

Runner?  Stop two blocks before you finish and sprint the first block and do squat jumps for half a block and lunges for the other half. 

Cyclist? Do 20 (each leg) single leg dead-lifts (http://running.competitor.com/2013/03/video/monday-minute-single-leg-dead-lift_11983)
100 MTN Climbers
20 Squat jumps

Swimmer? 100 Body Weight Squats, 20 (each leg) single leg dead-lifts

These additions will help you train your fast twitch muscles once you are already tired from your workout (similar to having to ski down after skiing to the top of your run)

2. ON THE WEEKENDS GO BIG:

This is your time to shine.  Go out for a long trail run, bike ride or both (I find hills to be the best way to build leg muscles for skiing).  Whatever you do on your days out of the office try to have it last for about the same amount of time as you would want to spend out skiing.  You need to have your body adjust to being active for an entire day.

These are simply tips that I have found useful in my own workouts and think have made it possible to get the most out of my early season tours.

If you are looking for the gear I mentioned above and apparel that I like to use here are some links:

Bands: http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-VA7657MU-Stretch-Bands/dp/B0007IS714/ref=sr_1_5?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1379138469&sr=1-5

Perfect Push Ups: http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Fitness-31000-Basic-Pushup/dp/B008DNA9WU/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1379138512&sr=1-2&keywords=perfect+pushup

APPAREL:

For running I like to wear Wool (yes Wool).  It is fall after all and it might be wet.  Wool will insulate even when wet, plus it won’t stink if you wear the same shirt in back to back workouts.

SHIRTS:

Smartwool NTS Top

SHORTS: I have found the Synthetic shorts work better for running.  Less chaffing and lighter weight.

Arc’Teryx Incendo Short

UNDER-LAYERS: COTTON IS OUT!

Smartwool Boxers

JACKETS: 

Arc’Teryx Squamish Hoody

Posted: 26 September 2013 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Dave's not here
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2009-12-18

Thanks E! 

Now what about those of us with no desire to run?

Posted: 26 September 2013 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
drinking beer in the lot
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-04-15

For those who don’t like to run for extended periods of time I recommend doing something that will get your heart rate up rapidly.  For me I turn to super sets. 

One example would be jump rope for 60 seconds then do 20 body weight squats and them 30 box jumps.  Feel free to use any three exercises that you would want though. 

Additionally if you already lift weights.  Try super setting opposing muscle groups.  You could to a super set of bench press and squats and crunches for example. 

Furthermore you can do total body lifts.  For example burpees or front squat to overhead press. 

All of these will get your heart rate up build strength and not make you run. 

Posted: 01 October 2013 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Dave's not here
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2009-12-18

I have also found that doing wall sits for the 2 minutes that I brush my teeth has been an awakener to me that I am out of shape. The first couple of times really hurt, but after a week of doing them, I don’t notice that it has been that long.