follow us

NEW Dynafit Mercury Pant and Jacket Reviewed
Posted: 18 September 2013 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
drinking beer in the lot
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-04-15

Over this past summer I have had the pleasure of using the NEW Dynafit Mercury Mercury Jacket.  For those who didn’t know that Dynafit makes apparel.  I would highly recommend checking it out.  With everything from GORE-TEX Pro Shell to Ski-MO Speed suits it is top notch. 

The Mercury Jacket is a light weight soft shell jacket that is perfect for ski touring or wearing around town.  It has a DWR coating so while it is not waterproof it is highly water resistant. 

When I evaluate a jacket I like to break it down into 3 different categories: FIT, FEATURES, PRICE.

FIT:  I wore this jacket in a medium and would say that it is true to size.  I was able to fit a light Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket underneath when it got colder in the evenings and it did not inhibit my mobility. 

Additionally, there is extra room in the shoulders, compared to other soft shells that I have used, making it really nice when you are climbing or using your arms around camp.  the jacket didn’t ride up or constrict my movement at all.

FEATURES:  Two words for this:  PIT ZIPS, this is one of the only soft shell jackets that I know of that has pit zips (they are more like triceps zips since they are actually on the back of the arms) that actually work.  I was wearing this jacket while skinning up Mt Adams in July with a light wool base layer and was not too hot.  This leads me to say that has great breath ability and the zips work.  Another benefit of the zip location is that they are not interfered with when you are wearing a pack.  Air is able to circulate freely providing maximum ventilation when you need it most. 

This jacket also features a helmet compatible hood that fit easily over my CAMP USA Speed Helmet while I was climbing. 

COST:  At $199 retail this jacket is a great deal when you compare it to the Arc’teryx Gamma SL at $268.  The Dynafit Mercury is lighter and has a better next to skin feel compared to the Arc’Teryx piece as well.

Overall here is how I would rate the Dynafit Mercury Jacket

FIT: 4.5 out of 5
FEATURES: 4.5 out of 5
COST: 4 out of 5

Thanks for reading and I hope you found this review useful.