follow us

ARC’TERYX Alpha SL Hyrbrid Jacket
Posted: 14 October 2013 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
drinking beer in the lot
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-04-15

With winter weather moving into the Front Range of Colorado this week.  I decided that it would be a good time to test out some new gear that I got for this season. 

For this trip, with the air temps in the mid-20’s and wind chill of near 0 I decided to test out the Arc’teryx Alpha SL Hybrid that I picked up over the summer. 

I have always been a big fan of Arc’Teryx and purchase under the mentality that I want what protects me from the elements to top of the line.  This being my third jacket from them (2nd hard-shell) but first for Gore-Tex Pro Shell, I was looking forward to seeing how it performed. 

FIT:  Just trying it on, I love how this jacket fits.  Lots of room in the body and shoulders compared to the more form fitting Arc’teryx Theta. I had no issues with jacket riding up while moving my arms overhead.  The hood is big…it fit well over my helmet but I was also able to cinch it down over my hat when I was hiking up. 

FEATURES: The pockets large and well positioned.  I was able to use them with ease even with my backpack on hip-belt cinched.  I also, was able to fit my skins in the pockets.  One in each.  This is particularly useful for BC Skiing since keeping you skins warm is essential between runs.  PIT-ZIPS:  This is a must have on a waterproof jacket.  When I skinning up and the wind wasn’t blowing having them open kept me cool but as soon as the wind picked up I was able to close them without taking off my pack to keep from getting to cold. 

OVERALL:  I am really happy with this jacket.  The combination of Gore-Tex PacLite body and Gore-Tex Pro Shell in the shoulders and underarm gussets is tough, extremely breathable and durably waterproof and windproof.  By using two different weights of Gore-Tex the jacket is the perfect combination of weight and durability.  I would recommend this jacket for people looking for a light BC skiing, backpacking, or climbing shell.  If you are looking for a resort ski jacket I would recommend the Arc’teryx Stingray or Arc’teryx Sidewinder jackets. There are more ski specific with powder skirts and a thicker outer shell material. 

Gotta Love Testing out NEW Gear

Other Pieces Used on this trip:

Arc’Teryx Atom LT Hoodie

Dynafit TLT6 Performance

Dynafit Huascaran GTX Pants

Osprey Kode Ski Pack

Posted: 17 October 2013 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Dave's not here
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2009-12-18

I love my ATOM LT.. i don’t have the hoody, but sometimes I wish I did.